Friday, December 16, 2011

Why am I fat?

I can't go through this process without really taking a look at the reasons why I have a weight problem. I'm sure this will be the first of many post on this subject, because I expect that the more
weight I lose the more I will learn about myself. But here's what I've got so far.

I've been lazy. I haven't exercised the way I should, I've eaten bad foods out of convenience, I watch too much TV, look for the closest parking spot, etc.

I really liked bad foods. My weaknesses have always been starches. I love bread, pasta,potatoes, and of course sugary sweets. My diet was probably consisted of about 75% carbohydrates. I could have lived on pizza and pasta alone.

I drank lots of calories. I have been a Soda addict for the last 20 years. On average I probably consumed 32-48 oz. a day. That alone probably accounts for a large part of my problem.

I centered relationships around food. A date with my husband meant our favorite Mexican restaurant, dinner at my Mom's equaled fried chicken, a day out with my daughter had to include ice cream, and meals with friends always included overeating at various restaurants.

I'm not placing blame on metabolism or genetics. Though I'm sure they play a part. I have had a low functioning thyroid in the past and that certainly hasn't helped. But the truth is, the blame is all on me. I did this to myself. The weight crept up and I chose to, for the most part, ignore it.

I'm not fat because I'm trying to bury my feelings, or build a buffer between me and the world, I'm not suffering the side effects of some horrible trauma. I'm just fat. I've mad bad choices and obesity is the consequence.

Notice I used past tense when talking about the reasons I got fat. That's because I am going to change all of these things. No more excuses. No more self-destruction.

2 comments:

  1. I read this post early this morning and I had to think about it before I commented because I should ask myself the same question. I should have a blog too, but I would rather talk to you about it anyways. I think I am fat because I many years of eating the way I want to no matter the consquence and food is a reward and a friend. I need to not eat when I'm upset or eat just because its a social situation. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it!! You are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can talk to me about it anytime.And thank you! It's hard but I'm sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete