Friday, December 2, 2011

Skinny people just don't get it

My husband is thin, like a 32" waist thin. He knows I'm trying to lose weight and says he want to be supportive; but he just doesn't get how hard this is. He thinks that all it takes is a little exercise and boom weight problem should be solved. Well sure when your naturally thin and can eat anything you want you can lose a few pounds by increasing the intensity of your workouts; But it just doesn't work that way when your severely overweight. I read somewhere that weight loss is 70 percent diet and 30 percent exercise. So sure I need to workout but the biggest change has to come from diet.

After a really stressful day yesterday, I just wasn't up for cooking dinner. My husband ( trying to be nice) suggested we just order a pizza. On my first week? So of course I said no, to which he responded,"wow this sucks. So I can't ever have pizza now?" Well of course you can still have pizza just don't rub it under my nose on the first week of my new diet.

In order to get some quiet time to work, I suggested that he and our daughter just go out to eat somewhere, and pick me up a salad on the way home. They chose our favorite Mexican restaurant. Which was fine. But then he texted me a picture of his big burrito covered in sour cream, with the caption Yum! Really? I know he thought this was funny but it really kind of bothered me. Not because I really want a stupid burrito so badly but because I need to feel supported. This isn't a joke to me!

Of course, when I explained how it made me feel, he felt bad and told me how proud he was.
I know he didn't mean to be insensitive but it just reminded me that skinny people just don't get it and I that can't rely on him to be a support system for me in this, which kind of sucks.

3 comments:

  1. That is why what you are doing here is soooo great!! Sometimes all you have is YOU. Not because you are all alone in this, but because you are the only one that can make this happen. You have to put yourself first! I am always here for you! Never to judge, and to always be honest! I love you!!! You are doing great! He loves you no matter what so maybe he doesn't think it should be such a big deal. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you kel. Your support means more to me than you will probably ever know.you are the only person in my life that I know really gets this. I love that we are doing this together.<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. I decided to give myself an off night for dinner but it turned into a really off night. I got busy decorating the house and time got away from me and by the time I took the kids out I was starving! Not a good way to eat dinner. On top of all that it was almost 9pm. Soooo yeah we had Burger King. I went way off my plan but that's gonna happen I guess. It really helps to be prepared. So I went grocery shopping and I'm ready for tomorrow!! Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete