Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mock-a-Roni and Cheese

Here is the low carb substitute for mac and cheese that I tried this week. This probably isn't great for a regular low calorie diet but it's great for anyone on Atkins or any other low carb plans. I loved it and I normally don't like vegetables. I was skeptical about the mustard but it gave it a little kick that I liked.

Makes 6 servings
6g net carb/serving

Ingredients
1 med. head of cauliflower cut into small pieces
Pam (or something to grease the baking pan)
1 cup milk
2 oz. cream cheese
1-1/2 t. dijon mustard
1-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. paprika


Preheat oven to 375F. Bring large pot of water to a boil, season with kosher salt.

Spray 8x8 baking pan with Pam.

Cook cauliflower in boiling water until crisp-tender (about 5 min.) Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels. Break into small pieces with fork. Transfer to baking dish.

Bring milk to a simmer and whisk in cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder and whisk until cheese just melts - about 1-2 min. Remove from heat, pour over cauliflower and stir to combine. Top with remaining cheese and bake until bubbly and brown (~15 min).

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I think I will try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I'm in induction so I'll replace the milk with heavy cream or half & half. I haven't had mac-n-cheese, probably in about 10 years. So this will definitely be something I am going to try >:0)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, This is the recipe as I found it,but I'm on induction too so I replaced the milk with cream and it turned out great. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete